Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Rainbow Extravaganza

Well, I guess you could say this was the biggie! And start to finish, what a beautifully colorful, fun and happy night it was! I am so grateful to the party-planning team headed by Trish and including Cathie, Dana, Amanda, Cindy, Becky, Heidi, Elke, Elaine, Jeff B, Jeff P, Ryan, Karen, Ann, Dan and Luke, as well as quite a few others who helped with little and big things in the moment as the evening went on! I really had the time of my life and am so thankful to all of you! I could not have asked for anything more - it was perfect!
I was thrilled that we were able to hold the party at the ETFO Office. The transformation of the meeting room to rainbow paradise was brilliant! Rainbow tablecloths, displays, flowers, name-tags, T-shirts, signs, a welcome area complete with a rainbow dress-up photo booth, spectacular food table and the most amazing cake EVER!! What a setting for a retirement party!
We started with about an hour of mingling time. It was wonderful to have my whole family there and greet so many friends and colleagues from recent and not-so-recent days of teaching! Because everyone was adorned with a rainbow lei as they came in, the room was positively bursting with colour as we all enjoyed the snacks and some time to catch up.
About 5, Trish brought everyone together for a few 'mini-speeches', as they were called. Jennifer Kneeshaw, Matthew, Cathie & Dana and Jeff Pelich spoke. Their words were touching, funny, sincere, entertaining, and every word meant so much to me. They each brought a very personal perspective of our work and time together and I was really touched. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
I spoke last, mostly to express my gratitude to family, friends and colleagues, with a few stories thrown in. I recall a few tears, but I felt so loved and supported throughout, it really didn't matter!

After the 'office party', a group of us went out for dinner at the Raintree Cafe! It was perfect for our celebration and I'm so glad we had that opportunity for a little relaxed fun after the big event. Yummy food and lots of laughs!

All in all, it was a most memorable occasion - I will never forget it. Every person there was very special to me and I was grateful and humbled to have the opportunity to spend the evening together and thank all of you for being part of my career. Rainbow Extravaganza was a perfect end to the Retirement Party Circuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment