Sunday, April 19, 2015

Scotland

Mum and I just spent the afternoon booking our '2nd annual' trip to Scotland. For 2 weeks in September, we will be spending time in Aberdeen, where mum and dad grew up, and where many in our extended family still live. As well, we will be visiting family and friends in the Bristol and London areas of England. How exciting!

Mum started talking about and planning this holiday about 2 days after we returned from Scotland Part 1 last fall! Last year, the trip was inspired by an invitation to a Thanksgiving weekend family wedding in Edinburgh. We had a wonderful time at Kirstie and Andy's wedding and really enjoyed reconnecting with family - many of whom I had not seen since we were all little kids! It was such fun! While we were there, we spent time with my cousin Pat, Alan and Fyvie at their home in Larkhall, did city tours of Edinburgh (Edinburgh Castle above) and Glasgow, and thoroughly enjoyed a three-day tour of the Isle of Skye. Mum had never been to Skye and this was one of her wishes for this trip. It was amazing! The weather was gorgeous, skies were blue and the sights unbelievable! We had a such a great time on the holiday that, like I said, this year's trip became a topic of conversation about 2 days after we returned home last year!

Our timeline was a little tight last year because I was still working, which meant taking some time off in order to make the trip happen. This year will be a little different, given the anticipated freedoms of retirement! Mum is pleased that we can take more time, and has plans to do all the things we didn't really have time to do last year. Aberdeen is her childhood home - many family are there so we have lots of people to connect with. There are also plenty of sights and side-trips in that area that we are both looking forward to. Mum and Dad took us there as kids; I have really vivid memories of month-long summer holidays when I was 8 and then again when I was 11. Aberdeen for me is memories of family visits, giant plates of mince and tatties at the Scott home in Portsoy, rowies at Aunt Chris' (YUM - I am already dreaming of these and plan to have at least one a day while I'm there!), frigid water on beautiful North Sea beaches, visiting elderly aunties in lovely stone cottages in country villages, and much more. Those were definitely happy times and I look forward to seeing this part of Scotland again. I have never been to England so that will be a brand new adventure.

Mum says this will be her last trip to Scotland. I'm not so sure of that. She's 83, in great health, and seems to have lots of adventure in her yet! I'll do my best to be a good travel companion once again, which means carrying heavy stuff, handling the mess of documents and bookings, pretending like I know where I'm going in airports, and generally doing my best to keep up with her!

I am really grateful for this opportunity, for so many reasons. I'll be retired - yay!! I'll also be travelling again with mum, and to the place of our family roots. I am so lucky. What a way to spend my first retired September!

No comments:

Post a Comment