Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Binge Watching

One of my favorite days this fall was the Monday following our Britain trip when I came down with a nasty virus and spent the entire day in bed. Every teacher I know will appreciate how much I loved getting sick and not having to spend a single second thinking about what I'd miss at work if I wasn't there, whether or not to call in sick, did I have the energy to write up plans, bla bla bla. It's almost fun to get sick when you know that the best thing you can do for yourself is nothing, and that you can actually do that! The bonus is that you get well quicker when you are able to look after yourself, and when there is no stress piled on top of the illness. There's a lesson in that for all of us isn't there?
So what did I do for the day? Well, I couldn't read 'cause my head hurt too much, so no books, magazines, or iPad. It felt like the perfect opportunity to find something new on Netflix. After not much browsing, I settled on Scandal - it looked entertaining and not too heavy. The opener was awesome - engaging and fast-paced with an interesting cast of characters and just a tad of sleaziness to make it extra addicting. Each episode ended in a cliff-hanger, so several times that day I revisited whether or not I should really watch another episode, but answered yes every time. 7 times. I watched the whole first season and the beginning of season 2.
Binge watching is a great way to watch TV. You choose the time, take breaks whenever you need them, or don't take any and watch for hours! We've enjoyed many binge evenings since and we both love it. It's hard to imagine going back to a week between episodes and commercials! It's a whole new world of TV watching. I see no need to go back.
And I'm already looking forward to my next virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment