Sunday, November 8, 2015

Encaustic Art

Last Friday, I attended an Encaustic Art workshop, organized by teacher friend and co-retiree Katie Saunders, and led by Guelph artist Julia Daly. Julia has a gorgeous studio in a separate building that she built 2 years ago on her spacious property. It is a wonderful, bright, creative space and was so well set up for a group like ours! There were 6 of us, of varying art skills. We learned the basics of encaustics, safety with the equipment, and we each completed a project to take home. I think these images will give you a feel for the experience!
Here is Julia's studio. I would live out here if I had a space like this!
The wax was warming in the trays when we arrived. The trays are basically pancake griddles!
Small amounts of oil paint added to the beeswax gives the colour.
Julia had a variety of her work on display. These are some of the smaller pieces.
Encaustic involves painting layers of wax on wood,
then using a blow torch to melt the wax and adhere it to the layer below. Fun!!
You can add textural elements as well - including lettering, fabric, carving, small beads, etc. 

This is my finished work. Yes, it's a bit of a hodge podge. Haha! I didn't go in with any type of plan, so this was a bit of a 'playground' where I could try out all the different techniques.
The end result has so much wax, it weighs a ton! I hope to go back soon - but next time,
I'll go with a concept! It was great fun - I look forward to trying it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment